Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Simple But Elegant

Sometime early last month when I was in Kuching, friends of mine gave me a few rooted cuttings of roses ( Rosa ) and a couple of canna rootstocks.I like canna especially the newly hybrid species which have more modern colours.  I have never been a diehard fan of  roses but to my surprise I saw one in full bloom this morning, the very few roses that I have just begun planting . It has a soft pink colour.  Lucky me, next to this tiny rose plant was a canna hybrid with one stalk in full flowers.  With these two flowers in hand the concept I had in mind was' simple yet elegant '.How would I express it with a rose an a canna?
In its simplest form I thought , the presentation above is very economical, minimalist, back to basics, simple and straight. The yellow bamboo culm is used to enhance the uniqueness and stately nature of the flower.
Arrangement # 54
Lastly to add interest to the composition , I threw in three leaves of the begonia plant . I will now leave you to admire the composition while I recite Shakespeare on roses:
Of all flowers ,
Methinks a rose is best
Why gentle madam?
It is the very embleme of a maide
For when the west wind courts her gently,
How modestly she blows, and paints the sun,
With her chaste blushes.

Now methinks, the above composition should be named......Simple But Elegant.

No comments: